I haven’t gone so far as to pack my bags for the hospital yet; but, with my due date only about six weeks away now, I am definitely thinking about what I’m going to take to wear during my stay (and, maybe, buying a few cozy things too)…
Since we don’t know if I will have another c-section or not, I’m planning as if I might have to stay three or four days in the hospital. But, of course, all of these things will be great to wear once I’m hanging out at home recovering/ adjusting to life with a newborn again as well. In addition, despite all the things I read on the internet before having Sam about what to take to the hospital etc., I still felt pretty clueless the first time around when it came to dressing my post-delivery body. This time, however, I’m feeling a lot more prepared about what works and what doesn’t when it comes to hospital/nursing access, and I feel like I have a lot more realistic expectations about how swollen and, sadly, not much smaller I will be right away.
The name of the game for me this time around is COMFORTABLE (and easy access for nursing) with a few little things to make me feel decently cute – gotta look good for my girl, of course. 😉
Here’s the (always tentative) plan:
Day 1 (Labor & Delivery): Hospital gown and all the lovely accessories they give me!
– This one really doesn’t have much flexibility; except, I’m lucky enough have a homemade gown with my monogram on it that a sweet friend’s mom made me before Sam’s birth. I can’t wait to wear it again!
Day 2: Button-up pajamas
– I’m crossing my fingers that the similar JCrew ones I got for Christmas will fit! I tried on the top a few days ago and it barely buttoned; but, I’m banking on a slightly softer stomach at the very least. #wishfulthinking
– I ordered a similar tee on Jane.com last week. It says “I Already Want to Take a Nap Tomorrow” – which I thought was appropriate. Ha! I’m hoping that, as long as it is big enough, I can wear it over a nursing tank and just pull it up for feeding.
– I just ordered this blouse on sale from Old Navy in hopes that it will ride me through the end of my pregnancy and into the first few weeks at home nursing (and cuddling) a newborn. The reviews said it was mostly “too big,” but I’m hopeful that this will translate into “super comfy” instead of just making me look like a tent. We’ll see.
– My sister gave me this necklace with the new baby’s initial on it for Christmas (it isn’t ‘A’). I’ve been saving it for her birth and can’t wait to pair it with the ‘S’ I already have for Sam. Paired with flats, I’m hoping it will dress up my otherwise very casual “going home” outfit just enough without looking like I tried too hard. 😉
Been there done that? What are your wardrobe necessities for the postpartum hospital stay?!? What’s the “rule” for how big your stomach will be after giving birth – 6 or 7 months pregnant, right? Please straighten me out if I’m making any major errors here!