Thanks to a very busy preschooler and the fact that I had a smartphone this time around (making it entirely too easy to scroll Facebook or watch Netflix while nursing instead of reading), I feel like I read a lot less in the couple of months surrounding Nora’s birth than I did with Sam. In addition to that, I barely made a dent in my Maternity Leave Reading List because new titles just kept popping up that I “had” to read first. Regardless, I have read/listened to a few books in the last three months or so and thought I’d share them all here today.
Here’s a quick round-up of what’s on my Kindle lately and my (quick) thoughts/reviews of each:
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica (SCORE = 7/10)
I had a hard time getting into this book and struggled a little with the first half, but it hooked me at about 50% and I devoured the rest of it in less than 12 hours. It reminded me a lot – almost too much at times – of Gone Girl but was different enough in the end to impress me. It definitely left me thinking (and talking) about it when it was over.
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (SCORE = 9/10)
This one has gotten a lot of attention lately, but for good reason. I REALLY got into it, and several parts left me completely shocked. A little trendy in terms of format etc. (it is also compared to Gone Girl), but I thought the concept was pretty original and the pace of the book (like its cover) was fast. I never wanted to put it down. It was thrilling, suspenseful, and well-developed. Destined to be a big movie hit. *I listened to this one through Amazon/Audible, and thought the narration was excellent. I highly recommend it for a long road trip etc.
Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty (SCORE = 6/10)
This was my fourth book by Moriarty, and – though probably my least favorite – I enjoyed it. It is a “fluffier” read than some, but like many of her books, still touches on some bigger topics. I liked the characters, but I never fell in love with them. This would make a good light beach/pool read.
Overwhelmed by Bridget Schulte (SCORE = 8/10)
I’m a nerd in this way, but I really loved this. Schulte wrote it like she was chatting with a friend but used her journalist flair to include interviews, statistics, and research. I screamed “YES!” a million times as I was reading. This book was relatable, challenging, informative, and incredibly interesting. I definitely recommend it for working moms, but I think any mom would enjoy. (It reminded me a lot of this book and this book that I read in 2014.)
The Fringe Hours by Jessica Turner (SCORE = 5/10)
Very similar to Overwhelmed, this had a great premise, but I felt like the points could have been made in a really good blog post or two instead of a whole book. I actually heard the author on several podcasts back in the winter and really really liked her. I appreciate that she is one of the few “successful” bloggers who has a full time job outside of the home and doesn’t consider blogging her job. I also just thought all of her interviews seemed genuine and like she was someone I could be friends with in real life. She kept that sincere tone throughout the book and it did give me some good perspective and made me think about some things (mainly this), but I felt like it got a little bit repetitive towards the end and didn’t keep my attention all that long. I’ve read other great reviews though, so maybe it’s just me…
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (SCORE = 5/10)
Who isn’t reading this book lately, right?! I admit, I totally gave in to peer pressure with this book and had to see what all the hype was about. It has some interesting things to say, for sure, but ultimately, I think 10% was very practical and “life changing,” and the other 90% was a little too out there for me. (I realize I might be publicly scorned for saying this.) It made me want to clean out my closets (though I still haven’t done it), but it did not make me want to thank my shoes for their hard work when I take them off at the end of every day, or open the drawers holding my winter clothes in the summer to give them room to breathe and remind them that I will be back. (I’m lucky if I remember to tell my husband I love him and feed my dog every day.) Honestly, it overwhelmed me more than it inspired me. (Yes, I realize I may be publicly scored for saying this.) Do yourself a favor and just browse this cute little checklist from Jess Lively instead, ok?
Coming up next…
What are you reading lately?!? Have you read any of these titles, what were your thoughts?
HAPPY HAPPY FRIDAY! It feel good to be back in the blogging groove again!